REVIEW STATE FARM INSURANCE
by Will Berger | Sep 20, 2020
State Farm takes the top as the largest car insurance company in the United States, they issued $41.8 billion worth of auto insurance premiums in 2017 alone. State Farm employs almost 18,000 agents in all 50 states and DC. With such comprehensive coverage, you know you can trust State Farm.
- PNationwide coverage
- PHandy app abd programs
- ONot always the lowest rates
The biggest advantage to buying car insurance from State Farm is because they’re also the biggest! State Farm has an army of expert agents all over the United States. Their strong credit rating proves its financial strength, so you know you can trust them to pay if a claim is needed.
State Farm has some other advantages as well, for example: a mobile app where you can download your policy documents, as well as file and track a claim; ride share insurance to motorists in 42 states; and the Steer Clear program, which encourages safe-driving habits for younger drivers.
A negative though, is that State Farm doesn’t always offer the most competitive rates, and they offer less discount programs than some other insurers.
What types Auto Insurance are Offered?
Comprehensive. Covers costs of repairs and replacement caused by anything other than a collision, for example: hitting an animal, theft, vandalism, fire, or flood.
Collision. Pays costs for repair or replacement of your vehicle if it’s involved in a collision with another vehicle or object, no matter who was at fault.
Liability. Covers Bodily Injury liability and Property Damage liability. Pays for the other party’s medical expenses, vehicle repairs, or property damage if you were at fault in an accident.
Uninsured / Underinsured Motor Vehicle. Protects you when you’re involved in an accident caused by someone who doesn’t have any liability coverage or doesn’t have sufficient liability coverage to cover expenses. This is definitely an option worth considering: about 30% of drivers in the US don’t have enough insurance, that means there’s a 3 in 10 chance that this insurance will come in very handy.
Medical Payments. Covers medical expenses or funeral expenses if you or any of your passengers are injured or killed in an accident.
Emergency Road Service. Provides service when you’re broken down and need a tire change, jump-start, fuel delivery, or lockout services.
Car Rental and Travel Expenses. Covers the cost of renting a replacement vehicle while your vehicle is in the shop.
Rideshare Driver Coverage. Add-on for drivers who work for rideshare companies such as Uber and Lyft.
State Farm also offers these special types of vehicle insurance:
Rental Car Insurance. State Farm’s collision and comprehensive coverage carries over to any rental vehicles. However, if you don’t own a car or if your personal car insurance has a high deductible State Farm can offer you appropriate rental car coverage.
Antique & Classic Car Insurance. Vintage cars are unique and need their own unique type, which State Farm provides.
Sports Car Insurance. Sports car insurance is usually very expensive, but State Farm promises lower rates.
Business Auto Insurance. For businesses with multiple vehicles, including the same types of coverage as State Farm’s personal car insurance.
Teen Car Insurance. Comparable rates for policy holders with teen drivers. This includes Steer Clear, a program that encourages drivers under 25 to improve their driving skills, thereby reducing their insurance costs.
How to Apply:
Apply for a quote and purchase car insurance by getting a quote online or by talking with one of State Farm’s 18,000 agents. The whole process only takes a few minutes.
• On the State Farm website, under the heading “Get an Auto Quote”, enter your zip code and press “Go”.
• Enter some standard personal details, including name, date of birth, and address.
• Enter vehicle information (for up to four vehicles). You’ll need to provide the year, make model, and body style. Enter your vehicle identification number (VIN), if you can.
• Enter additional vehicle information, such as how it is financed, its purpose, and annual mileage.
• Enter information for all policyholders, including how long each driver has had their license and if any of the drivers have had traffic violations.
• Enter additional driving history for all policy holders, including information about at-fault accidents or minor convictions in the past 6 years, any major convictions in the past 10 years, or any license suspensions or revocations.
• Provide information about your current insurer and policy, if you have one. You can add certain information if you wish to apply for Vehicle Safety or Drive Safe & Save discounts
• Finally, you’ll be presented with a quote. Choose from a cheaper Basic package, a Standard package, or a Premium package with enhanced coverage and extras. All three packages can be customized with things like deductibles and add-ons to finalize your policy. You can save the quote and shop around more, or buy it right away.
How to File a Claim
Filing a claim with State Farm is pretty conveniant, you have 3 opitions: online, over the phone, or by post. To file or manage a claim online, just use your State Farm log in and provide information about the accident and some supporting information. State Farm has an army of claim representatives, and receives good online feedback, so you can be confident that you’re in good hands.
Phone: 800-STATE-FARM (800-782-8332) for general inquiries.
Direct: To locate an agent in your area, use this search form: https://www.statefarm.com/agent/
Mail: State Farm Insurance, One State Farm Plaza, Bloomington, IL 61710